Iceland played their debut match against World # 5 team Argentina and amazingly they played it a draw. It was an unexpected result for the football critics as well as Argentina Fans. Icelandic Fans are mentioning it as a memorable moment for themselves while on the other hand, Argentinian Fans are still in a shock.
The most shocking moment of the match was the missed penalty of Lionel Messi. It was totally unexpected for his fans that he may miss a penalty. Especially when his Messi’s Rival Ronaldo scored a goal on penalty yesterday, Messi’s fans were expecting a wonderful display of game from Messi but he disappointed his fans worldwide.
Below are highlights of the match:
- Argentinian Striker Sergio Agüero scored the first goal in 19th minute of the game. It was his first ever goal in a World Cup in 9 appearances.
- Just after 4 minutes of the Argentinian goal, Icelandic striker Alfreð Finnbogason scored goal for Iceland. It was Alfreð Finnbogason’s and Iceland’s first ever goal in a World Cup match.
- At Half-time, the score was 1-1.
- In the 64th minute of the match, Lionel Messi missed the penalty. It was his first ever penalty in a World Cup match.
- Despite the fact that Iceland failed to record a single attempt at Argentina’s Goal.
What do you think will be the performance of both the teams in other group matches? They have a difficult group as they have African giant Nigeria and European aggresors Croatia in their group.
Image credit: AFP