Like all the other sports, Football also has an international governing body to manage all the matters related to Football around the globe. This international body is known as Fédération Internationale de Football Association (popular as FIFA) was founded on 21 May 1904, and its headquarters are in Zürich, Switzerland. A total of 221 national associations are the member of FIFA which are eligible to play qualifiers.
In this post, we are gonna cover and summarize everything about football, FIFA, Football World Cup and some other aspects.
The current form of football dates back to 1863 when it was differentiated from Rugby Football and a separate football association was formed in England. Originally it is from China, and according to a scientific evidence, it was considered as a military exercise in which a leather ball was used to play in second and third centuries BC. A different form of this sport “Japanese Kemari” dates back to about 1000 years and is still played in the Far East.
First ever Football Match:
First ever international football match was played between England and Scotland in 1872 in Glasgow. It was ended in a draw 0-0.
First ever International Football Tournament:
British Home Championship was the first ever International Football Tournament that was contested between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Scotland won the first title of British Home Championship.
As we said earlier, FIFA is the governing body of Football and is responsible for all the activities related to major tournaments of football. It was founded in 1904 to supervise the competition between 8 European countries i.e., Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. Later in 1930, Men’s World Cup was commenced and in 1991 Women’s World Cup was commenced under the supervision of FIFA.
About First FIFA World Cup:
In 1908 London Olympics, Football was played as an official competition. Along with Olympic Games in later years, many other tournaments commenced. Due to its success and popularity, FIFA decided to commence its own international tournament on 28 May 1928. As a result, the first world cup was planned to be played in Uruguay in 1930.
13 teams participated in the first world cup and were drawn into four groups. The top teams or group winner from each group qualified for Semi-final stage. The first 2 matches of the 1930 world cup were played on 13 July in which France defeated Mexico 4-1 and the US beat Belgium 3-0.
The first Semi-Final was played between the United States and Argentina. Argentina defeated the US 6-1 in this match. The second Semi-Final was played between Uruguay and Yugoslavia. Uruguay defeated Yugoslavia 6-1 to qualify for the Final.
The Final match of the first ever World Cup was played on 30 July 1930. In the Final, Uruguay defeated Argentina 2-1 to become first ever World Champion.
Some Quick Facts about the World Cups:
- Since 1930, a total of 20 World Cups have been played. It was canceled in 1942 & 1946 because of the World War II.
- Brazil has won the most number of World Cups, i.e., 5.
- Brazil has never missed any world cup since 1930 and has participated in all the 20 World Cups.
- Germany has played 8 World Cup Finals that is more than any other team. They have won 4 of them.
- In 1982 World Cup, the number of teams was expanded from 16 to 24 while in 1998 World Cup, the teams were expanded from 24 to 32.
- The 2022 world cup will be played in Qatar. This World Cup is supposed to be played in the month of December because of the extremely hot weather during the summer.
- According to a recent decision made by the FIFA, a total of 48 teams will participate in the 2026 World Cup.
- Netherlands has played the final 3 times but has never won anyone of them.
Credit: Wikipedia, Fifa