Introduced in December 1992, it is a ranking system for national men’s teams which is based on the results of games played among these teams. The current FIFA World ranking was updated on 18 January 2018, according to which Germany, Brazil, Portugal, and Argentina are the Top 4 teams in the world. For a detailed ranking, refer to the table below.
Some Quick Facts about FIFA World Ranking:
- Currently, four factors are taken into account to rank a team.
- Result of the Match (Win, Loss or a Draw)
- Status of the Match (Friendly match, qualifiers match, or finals of any cup)
- Strength of the Opposition (Based on current ranking of the opposition)
- Regional Strength (Relative strength of the entire confederation of the opposition)
- The ranking is also based on the matches over a period of last 48 months.
- Germany was the first team to rank as number 1 when this ranking system was introduced in December 1992.
- Netherlands and Belgium are among the teams who have reached the top spot in 2012 and 2016 respectively. Unfortunately, both of these teams have never won a world cup.
- Every year, 2 different awards are also awarded by FIFA to the teams who perform well in ranking throughout the year. These 2 awards are “Team of the Year” and “Best Mover of the Year”.
- Brazil has won the “Team of the Year” award for the most number of times i.e., 12. while Spain is on second place with 6 awards.
- “Best Mover of the Year” was awarded to the teams from 1993 to 2006 who has progressed well in ranking. Since 2006, no official award has been given to a team but a list of best Movers has been released by FIFA.
- FIFA rankings are published every month on a Thursday. The next expected ranking will be published on 21 December 2017.
- According to an announcement made by FIFA, they are reviewing the ranking system and they may make changes in the current ranking system to improve it.
Update: The ranking was updated on January 18, 2018, and Croatia changed its position from 17 to 15 while Iceland made it to Top 20.