2018 FIFA World Cup has just 4 matches left now. 2 semi-finals, 1 final, and a match for the 3rd position. France, Belgium, England, and Croatia has made it to the Semi-finals. Till now, it was a wonderful and unexpected World Cup because the football lovers and fans witnessed the early elimination of the defending champion Germany, Mohamed Salah‘s Egypt, and World #10 Poland. Later, in the knockout round, the giants like Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Portugal, and Uruguay were also eliminated.
Not all, but at least two of the Semi-finalists are unexpected for everyone. Here, in this post, we have gathered some interesting facts about the 2018 Semi-finals and the qualified teams.
7 Interesting Facts about 2018 Semi-Finals and Semi-Finalists:
- It is just the 5th time in the World Cup history that all the 4 semi-finalists are from Europe.
- It is the first ever time the history of FIFA World Cup that Argentina, Germany, and Brazil have not qualified for the semi-finals. In all the previous 20 World Cup tournaments, at least one of them were in the Semi-finals.
- In their 5 World Cup appearances, it is the second time that Croatia has reached the semi-finals.
- It is 13th time that Belgium is playing the World Cup finals. But it is just the second time that they have qualified for the semi-finals.
- England and France have won one world cup each. England won it in 1966 while France has won the World Cup in 1998.
- England and Croatia have played 7 matches in the past, in which, England has won 4 matches. Croatia has beaten England in 2 matches while one of them was a draw. The last match between the 2 sides was played on 9 September 2009, England won this match by 5 – 1.
- France and Belgium have a very rich history as they have played 73 matches in the past. Their first ever match was played on 01 May 1904 which was a 3 – 3 Draw, while the came head 2 head last time on 07 June 2015, Belgium won this match by 4 – 3.
Which fact was more fascinating for you?