Croatia defeated England in the second semi-final of the 2018 FIFA World Cup to reach the Final of a World Cup for the very first time. Croatian football team was not even among the top 5 favorite teams to win the World Cup and are at the 20th position in current FIFA Men’s ranking. They will face France in the final match of the 2018 World Cup.
As soon as they reached the finals, people started searching Croatian football team and their players, because unlike other big teams their players are less popular except Luke Modric. So, we have gathered some interesting facts about the Croatian Football Team.
5 Interesting Facts About the Croatian Team:
- Although Croatia played their first World Cup in 1994. But they were a part of Yugoslavia and played 8 World Cups from 1930 to 1990. They gain independence from Yugoslavia in 1991.
- Luka Modric, the captain of Croatian Football team is the most popular player in their current squad. He also plays for the Spanish Club Real Madrid and he is said to one of the most versatile players. In this World Cup, he scored a goal against Argentina in Group stages to help his team move forward.
- In their first World Cup appearance in 1998, they were on 3rd place. In the semi-final, they were beaten by France and played 3rd position match against the Netherlands.
- Davor Suker, the former Croatian striker was among the best player of the team in his times. He is the only Croatian football player who was featured in 125 greatest players of all times by the Brazilian legend Pele.
- Croatian team has always surprised their fans by defeating football giant. They defeated Germany in the quarter-finals of 1998 World Cup. They also defeated Italy in 2002 World Cup group stages. In the 2018 World Cup, they have beaten Argentina, Denmark, England, and Russia.
Image credit: Reuters, Wikimedia Commons